We want to remind you that May is Global Employee Health and Fitness Month! GEHFM is a worldwide movement focused on improving healthy diets and lifestyles in different workplace environments. Two separate non-profit organizations came together to initiate this global project. In its inception, it was a single day of observance known as National Employee Health and Fitness Day, but the overwhelming numbers of obesity, heart disease, extended periods of seating and other unhealthy lifestyle behaviors throughout the world encouraged the two non-profits to extend the project over the entire month of May so that health here in Kansas City and elsewhere gets its due focus.
As the movement gains momentum, it can spread awareness of the various benefits that come with healthy eating and an improved dedication to fitness. Employers and employees of nearly every type of business and industry throughout the world can participate in this project.
There are many ways in which workplaces can improve the health of all of their employees. Various promotions, collective activities, and more can assemble adults of all ages and commit to getting and staying healthy. Healthier and more active employees are encouraged to take initiative to organize their coworkers and superiors.
The following are some of the many projects you can undertake in your community with your coworkers:
- Incorporate periods of standing, stretching, and taking brief walks into a workday full of sitting. Likewise, allow those who spend most of the day on their feet to sit, stretch, and engage in focused breathing regularly.
- Introduce after-work fitness meet-ups and even offer incentives to those who take part. Yoga classes, aerobics, walks at local parks, and other accessible exercises can improve every participant’s overall health.
- Encourage coworkers to eat healthy by having healthy potluck lunches focusing on certain natural ingredients like leafy greens, citrus, tomatoes, and carrots.
- Face off with fellow businesses in competitive events like soccer games, tennis matches, and relay races.
- Make the effort to have yourself and your coworkers undergo preventative treatments. A health professional can privately and professionally evaluate the overall health of each individual. We want to stress the importance of this particular activity as it allows people to be tested for common health problems like high blood pressure, obesity, high blood sugar, and more.
All of those who participate in the GEHFM movement are encouraged to notify the organization’s website of your participation and intended projects so that you can help spread awareness to other businesses outside beyond your community. Global Employee Health and Fitness initiatives can inspire change throughout the world. We recommend starting small by incorporating healthy lifestyles into your own workplace.